Federal regulations require you to meet these eligibility requirements in order to open and contribute to an HSA.
You must be:
- Covered under a qualified high deductible health plan (HDHP) on the first day of the month
You must not be:
- Covered by any other health plan, including your spouse’s health insurance
- Covered by your own or spouse’s medical flexible spending account (FSA)
- Enrolled in any part of Medicare or Tricare
- Receiving Veteran’s health benefits now or in the past 90 days for a non-service connected disability
- Claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax return
Contact your health insurance provider to confirm that your plan is HSA compatible. HealthSavings cannot determine if your health plan is qualified.